EAST MEADOW, N.Y. – Looking to avenge their sixth-place finish at last year’s Eastern College Athletic Championship (ECAC), the Stony Brook swimming and diving team began their quest today, December 2, and had strong performances by multiple student athletes.
During Friday morning’s preliminaries, the squad was led by junior Mary Kate Conway, senior Bridget Montgomery and sophomore Emma Hawkins finishing 11th, 13th and 15th place in the 500 yard freestyle. Freshman Michelle Vu gave the ECAC a warm welcoming, as the rookie had the top finish for the squad in the 50 yard IM and 50 yard freestyle for 15th and 16th place, respectively.
After a short break, the squad returned to the pool for the finals of Friday night. The team of senior Madison Enda, junior Lara Youssef freshman Alanna DePinto and Conway collected a quick 32 points for the squad to begin the session after finishing 11th in the 200 yard freestyle. Shortly later, Conway came back and glided to a ninth-place finish in the 500 yard freestyle to earn 20 team points. Vu continued her strong afternoon with an 11th overall finish in the 50 yard IM and 12th place in the 50 yard freestyle for a combined 31 team points.
Freshman Mykayla Lavery and junior Sara DiStefano put up crucial numbers for the squad on the diving board, as the freshman finished fourth and the junior placed seventh to earn a combined 49 team points. To end the night, the seniority squad of Reagan MacDonald, Jessica Salmon, Maddy Enda, and the rookie DePinto finished in eighth place out of 29 teams in the 400 yard medley.
Currently, the Seawolves are ranked in sixth place overall with 217 points. Columbia University is on top with 705 points.
- The finish for Conway’s preliminary 500 yard freestyle was 5:05.88, with Montgomery coming in right after at 5:08.70 and Hawkins rounding out the top 15 at 5:10.93.
- The 200 freestyle relay team composed of Conway, Enda, Youseff, and DePinto secured an 11th place finish in the 200 yard freestyle at 1:37.47.
- Conway had a team-best finish in the 500 yard freestyle with a final time of 5:02.25 which earned her a ninth-place overall finish.
- Vu finished the 200 IM in a 2:08.32 and the 50 yard freestyle in 24.10, respectively, during the finals. Vu secured new personal bests in both events.
- Lavery was the leader on the diving board today with 214.95 points, and DiStefano finished shortly behind with 202.10 points.
- The 400 yard medley relay squad comprised of MacDonald, Salmon, Enda and DePinto had a final time of 3:53.82 to end the night.
The Stony Brook women’s swimming and diving team is back in action tomorrow, December 3, for day two of the ECAC Championships.